On the day of the procedure (24 hours)
- Drink hot beverages
- Vigorously rince your mouth for 48h
- Chew hard food or drink with a straw
- Drink alcohol
- Touch the bandages or the sutures with your tongue
- Take the recommended medecine
- Rest a lot
- Drink a lot of water
Swelling may appear and progress during the first three days. It can be reduced to a minimum by applying ice to the cheek.
This not only controls swelling, but also pain and the risk of bruising.
Apply an ice pack 15 minutes once an hour for 24 hours. Make sure to take the prescribed medication.
After the graft:
A slight bleeding is normal during the first day. For a gum graft, you can apply pressure for 5 to 20 minutes with a moist 2×2 (at the palate level only).
For all surgeries, if the bleeding is excessive, please let us know by calling:
The days following the procedure:
- Do not use ice past the firste 36h
- Rinse gently with the recommended mouthwash (twice a day (30sec.) x10 to 14 days) after 48h
- Brush and floss only on untreated teeth.
- Eat normally while avoiding rubbing the area of surgery with food.
- Chew on the untreated side.
- If you are taking antibiotics, take all tablets as ordered.
- Take pain pills (tylenol, advil, motrin) only if you have pain